No 2 Commando Cap Badge
The unit cap badge of No 2 Commando depicts a commando knife, with the letters S on either side which means Special Service.
No 2 Commando was a battalion-sized British Commando unit of the British Army during the Second World War. The first No 2 Commando was formed on 22 June 1940 for a parachuting role at Cambrai Barracks, Perham Down, near Tidworth, Hants. The unit at the time consisted of four troops: ‘A’, ‘B’, ‘C’ and ‘D’. Eventually 11 troops were raised. On 21 November, it was re-designated as the 11th Special Air Service (SAS) Battalion and eventually re-designated 1st Parachute Battalion.
After their re-designation as the 11th SAS Battalion, a second No 2 Commando was formed. This No 2 Commando was the leading commando unit in the St Nazaire Raid and suffered heavy casualties. Those who made it back from St Nazaire rejoined the few who had not gone on the raid, and the commando was reinforced by the first intake of volunteers from the new Commando Basic Training Centre at Achnacarry. No 2 Commando then went on to serve in the Mediterranean, Sicily, Yugoslavia, and Albania, before being disbanded in 1946.