13/18 Royal Hussars Cap Badge
This unit was raised as the 13th/18th Hussars in 1922 by amalgamating the 13th Hussars and the 18th Royal Hussars (Queen Mary’s Own). The new force spent the 1920s and 1930s on garrison duties in England, Scotland, Egypt and India. In 1935, it was re-titled as the 13th/18th Royal Hussars (Queen Mary’s Own).
Five months before the outbreak of the Second World War (1939-45), it was transferred to the Royal Armoured Corps (RAC). It then fought as a reconnaissance unit in the Battle of France in 1940, before being evacuated at Dunkirk.
After re-forming and training in Britain, it fought with 8th Armoured Brigade from the Normandy landings (1944) to the Rhine Crossings (1945). During the former operation, it was equipped with Duplex Drive Sherman tanks.