8th Bn P.W.O West Yorkshire Regiment Cap Badge
The regimental cap badge of the 8th Bn P.WO. West Yorkshire Regiment is a blackened metal badge in the form of a cross based on that of the Order of the Bath, surmounted by an Imperial crown. In the centre of the cross is the inscription ‘LEEDS RIFLES’ and within this is a bugle with strings surmounted by a crown.
The whole badge is surrounded by a laurel-wreath, with a scroll below in inscribed 8 BN. PWO WEST YORKSHIRE REGT.’ The cap badge in blackened metal for 8th Territorial Battalion (‘Leeds Rifles’), Prince of Wales’s Own (West Yorkshire Regiment) was worn from 1908-1922 when the 8th Battalion was merged with the 7th Battalion to form the 7/8th Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales’s Own).
The West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales’s Own) (14th Foot) was an infantry regiment of the British Army. In 1958 it amalgamated with the East Yorkshire Regiment (15th Foot) to form the Prince of Wales’s Own Regiment of Yorkshire which was, on 6 June 2006, amalgamated with the Green Howards and the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment (West Riding) to form the Yorkshire Regiment (14th/15th, 19th and 33rd/76th Foot).