Army Air Corp Plastic Cap Badge
Plastic cap badges were first introduced into the British Army during 1941 as a result of metal shortages caused by the prioritised demands of industrialised war production. The wearing of plastic badges proved very unpopular with British Army personnel. An Army Air Corps was first formed in early 1942 from the Glider Pilot Regiment, the existing Parachute Battalions (later formed into the Parachute Regiment, in August 1942), and the Air Observation Post Squadrons RA.
The SAS became part of the Corps in 1944. The badge of the Corps was that of an eagle, facing right, in a laurel wreath. This was worn by Corps troops and the Glider Pilot Regiment, and initially, until the winged parachute badge was adopted in May 1943, by the Parachute Battalions, later Parachute Regiment. The AOP Squadrons retained their Royal Artillery gun badges throughout. The Corps was broken up in 1949 and formally disbanded in1950. Of necessity, the Glider Pilot Regiment had to adopt its own badge at this point. A new Army Air Corps was created in 1957, comprising the Glider Pilot Regiment and the AOP Squadrons.
The badge the Corps adopted was a form of the earlier design, the eagle now facing left and the AAC identifier at the foot of the wreath discarded. Both constituent Regiments adopted the Corps badge.