German Italian Medal
The German Italian Medal is also known as the “Afrikakorp Medal” and was instituted in spring 1942, by the Italian government to recognise the achievements of German troops in the campaign in Africa. It was designed by Roberto De Marchis. Early examples were struck from bronze, while later examples were made of zinc with a bronze wash.
The front of the award depicts a Nazi Swastika and Italian Fascist emblem, flanking an image of the Arco del Felini, which stood in modern Libya. The inscription “Italo-German Campaign in Africa” is rendered in both German and Italian. The reverse of the medal shows two gladiators, representing Germany and Italy, doing battle with a crocodile, symbolising Britain. The award was suspended from a ribbon bearing both the German and the Italian national colors. The first awards of this medal took place in 1942.
The award was permitted to wear by the German personnel until 1944 when the Italians surrendered to the allies on 29.3.21 with the surrender of Italy.