IRON CROSS 1939 EK2
The German Iron Cross 1939 EK2 (Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse) is a former military Prussian decoration, awarded for bravery and later restored by Adolf Hitler in 1939.
The Iron Cross of World War II was graded into three main categories the Iron Cross 2nd Class (EKII), Iron Cross 1st Class (EK1), and the Knights Cross which replaced the Prussian Pour le Mérite or “Blue Max” as Hitler did not approve of much of the old Prussian order award only to officers.
The Prussian Iron Cross 1914 with black and white ribbon, was replaced with the red, white and black colours adopted by The National Socialist German Workers’ Party, with a Swastika in the centre with 1939 beneath. The Iron Cross 2nd Class was produced by at least 65 manufacturers, not including variations amongst the individual companies. At least 27 companies sourced the dies from Steinhauer & Lück and show therefore nearly identical features of the frame and core. The crosses can be found either unmarked, with Präsidialkanzlei number (after the end of 1942 / early1943), or with LDO numbers which are rare.