Kriegsmarine U-Boat Badge
The Kriegsmarine U-Boat Badge (U-Boot-Kriegsabzeichen) was instituted in 1918 during WW1 which was awarded to recognise U-boat crews who had completed three war patrols.
The badge depicts a submarine in the centre surrounded by an oval laurel wreath with a German Eagle above clasping a swastika, gilded in gold which was worn on the lower left of the uniform.
Early versions of the award were made in tombac, with later versions made from zinc and a cloth embroidered version also existed in golden yellow cotton in bullion thread on blue woolen backing. All badges were issued with a citation document, which rarely survived so are quite hard to find.