Lincolnshire Regiment Cap Badge
The regimental cap badge of the Lincolnshire Regiment depicts a Sphinx, facing to the left on a tablet inscribed ‘Egypt’ in Old English font. Below the Sphinx is a scroll inscribed ‘Lincolnshire’.
The Royal Lincolnshire Regiment was a line infantry regiment of the British Army raised on 20 June 1685 as the Earl of Bath’s Regiment for its first Colonel, John Granville, 1st Earl of Bath. In 1751, it was numbered like most other Army regiments and named the 10th (North Lincoln) Regiment of Foot. After the Childers Reforms of 1881, it became the Lincolnshire Regiment after the county where it had been recruiting since 1781.
After the Second World War, the regiment was honoured with the name Royal Lincolnshire Regiment, before being amalgamated in 1960 with the Northamptonshire Regiment to form the 2nd East Anglian Regiment (Duchess of Gloucester’s Own Royal Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire) which was later amalgamated with the 1st East Anglian Regiment (Royal Norfolk and Suffolk), 3rd East Anglian Regiment (16th/44th Foot) and the Royal Leicestershire Regiment to form the Royal Anglian Regiment. ‘A’ Company of the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Anglians continues the traditions of the Royal Lincolnshire Regiment.