Minesweepers Badge By Steinhauer & Lück

Original Minesweepers Badge by Steinhauer & Lück (Minensucher-Kriegsabzeichen), constructed in gilded zinc, with a nice silver finish on the waves and water plume.   The reverse is unmarked but attributed to Steinhauer & Lück, Lüdenscheid, with a vertical pin, soldered plate barrel hinge, and round soldered “C” style catch.

The badge has no damage or repairs, with 75% of the gilt remaining measuring; 53mm (h) x 44.1mm (w) weighing 26.4 grams, in good condition.

 

Product ID: 5775

£185.00

Description

Minesweepers Badge

The Minesweeper Badge or Minesweepers, Sub-Chasers and Escort-Vessel War Badge (Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch-, U-Boot-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände) was a WW2 Kriegsmarine award for sailors that served on minesweeper vessels.

The Award was instituted on 31 August 1940 by Grand Admiral Erich Raeder, and designed by Otto Placzek of Berlin which depicts an exploding sea mine surrounded by a laurel wreath of oak leaves surmounted by national emblem of an eagle clutching a swastika (both golden coloured).  The decoration was first produced in bronze and later in zinc, with many makers which vary in quality.

The award was worn on the lower part of the left breast pocket of the naval service tunic, underneath the 1st Class Iron Cross if awarded.