Queens Own Yorkshire Dragoons Regiment Cap Badge
The regimental cap badge of the Queen Own Yorkshire Dragoons Regiment depicts the Yorkshire Rose surmounted by Imperial Kings Crown.
The Queen’s Own Yorkshire Dragoons Regiment was a yeomanry regiment of the British Army from 1794 to 1956.
It was formed as a volunteer cavalry force in 1794 during the French Revolutionary Wars. Its volunteer companies played an active role with the Imperial Yeomanry in the Second Boer War, but opportunities for mounted action were much more restricted during WW1 and it was temporarily converted into a cycle unit. It remained a cavalry regiment throughout the interwar years, and was the last horsed unit of the British Army to see action, in the Syria–Lebanon Campaign of 1941, finally mechanising the following year.
It served as motorised infantry in the North African and Italian campaigns of World War II. In 1956, it merged with the Yorkshire Hussars and the East Riding of Yorkshire Yeomanry to form the Queen’s Own Yorkshire Yeomanry. Its lineage is continued today by A (Yorkshire Yeomanry) Squadron, the Queen’s Own Yeomanry.