Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort’s Own) Cap Badge
The regimental cap of the Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort’s Own) depicts a Maltese cross which has circlet inscribed RIFLE BRIGADE, enclosing a strung bugle surmounted by an Imperial (King’s) crown. The cross in enclosed by a laurel wreath entwined with seven scrolls on each side, all inscribed with battle honours. Battle honours are also inscribed on each arm of the cross.
Above the top arm of the cross and joining the ends of the wreath is a tablet embossed WATERLOO, itself surmounted by an Imperial (King’s) crown. Below the bottom arm of the cross is the battle honours from the 1st World War, with a scroll below with the inscription “PRINCE CONSORT’S OWN”.
The Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort’s Own) was an infantry rifle regiment of the British Army formed in January 1800 as the “Experimental Corps of Riflemen” to provide sharpshooters, scouts, and skirmishers. They were soon renamed the “Rifle Corps”. In January 1803, they became an established regular regiment and were titled the 95th Regiment of Foot (Rifles). In 1816, at the end of the Napoleonic Wars, they were again renamed, this time as the “Rifle Brigade”.
The unit was distinguished by its use of green uniforms in place of the traditional redcoat as well as by being armed with the Baker rifle, which was the first British-made rifle accepted by the British Army in place of smooth-bore muskets. The 95th was the first regular infantry corps in the British Army to be so armed. They performed distinguished service in both the First and Second World Wars. Post war, in 1958 the regiment formed part of the Green Jackets Brigade as 3rd Green Jackets and was amalgamated with the 1st Green Jackets (43rd and 52nd) and the 2nd Green Jackets (King’s Royal Rifle Corps) to form the Royal Green Jackets on 1 January 1966.