Somerset Light Infantry (Prince Albert’s) Cap Badge
The regimental cap badge of the Somerset Light Infantry (Prince Albert’s) regiment depicts a stringed bugle horn with the letters ‘PA’ within. The bugle is surmounted by a mural crown, with a scroll above inscribed ‘Jellalabad’.
The cap badge of the Somerset Light Infantry (Prince Albert’s) was in use from 1881 till 1959, when the Regiment amalgamated with Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry to form the Somerset and Cornwall Light Infantry and the Light Infantry Brigade badge was adopted. The ‘Mural Crown’ superscribed ‘Jellalabad’ was awarded to the regiment in 1842 for the defence of Jellalabad Fort on the North West Frontier during the First Afghan War, 1838-1848. The ‘PA’ monogram on the badge acknowledgment by Prince Albert for regiments who converted to light infantry or rifle regiments during the Napoleonic Wars.