The German Wound Badge (Verwundetenabzeichen) was a German military decoration first introduced by Wilhelm II, on the 3rd March 1918, which was awarded to soldiers of the Imperial German Army who were wounded during WW1. Between the two world wars, it was awarded to members of the armed forces who fought on the Nationalist side of the Spanish Civil War 1938 – 1939.
During 1939 – 1945 the Wounded Badge was adopted by Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe, and the SS including civilians who received wounds from Allied Bombings or hostile action.
The Wound Badge was awarded in three grades black, silver, and gold. The black wounded badge 3rd Class was awarded to individuals who were wounded 1 – 2 times, Silver 2nd Class 3 – 4 times, and the Gold Wound Badge 1st Class was sometimes awarded posthumously or for Injuries, or more sustained through hostilities.