WW2 British Paratrooper Helmet
The British Paratrooper helmet MK1 was first introduced in 1941, the first being the short-lived ‘P’type helmet, and subsequently replaced by the standard ‘Helmet, Steel, Airborne Troops’,’ the MKI, and later the MKII.
The three latter types utilised a similar shell, but the first featured a black rubber fibre band around the edge and with leather harness (issued July 1942), the MKI retained the leather harness but deleted the fibre band, replaced by a stainless steel rim (issued October 1942), and the MKII had the leather harness replaced by canvas webbing (from February 1944). Generally speaking, the MKII was not widely seen in action until September 1944, but some were used by the 6th Airborne Division in Normandy and also later issued to the Polish Parachute Brigade.
Post-Second World War, the MKII remained in service and was last used on active service by members of The Parachute Regiment during the Falklands War, 1982.