THE YORKSHIRE REGIMENT (PRINCESS OF WALE’S OWN) CAP BADGE
The regimental cap badge of the Yorkshire Regiments (Princess of Wale’s Own) is made from white metal depicting a large letter ‘A’ inscribed ‘ALEXANDRA’ and surmounted by an Heir Apparent’s crown, interlinked with the Dannebrog Cross (inscribed ‘1875’) set upon tablet bearing the inscription ‘Yorkshire’. Beneath the tablet is a scroll bearing the title Princess of Wale’s Own Regt, with a small rose in the centre.
The Green Howards (Alexandra, Princess of Wales’s Own Yorkshire Regiment), frequently known as the Yorkshire Regiment until the 1920s, was a line infantry regiment of the British Army, in the King’s Division. Raised in 1688, it served under various titles until it was amalgamated with the Prince of Wales’s Own Regiment of Yorkshire and the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment (West Riding), all Yorkshire-based regiments in the King’s Division, to form the Yorkshire Regiment (14th/15th, 19th and 33rd/76th Foot) on 6 June 2006.