Blockade Runners Badge
The Blockade Runners Badge (Abzeichen für Blockadebrecher) was a WW2 Kriegsmarine decoration awarded for service on warships and merchants vessels that that attempted to break through enemy blockades. The decoration was instituted on 1st April 1941 upon the order of Adolf Hitler. Blockade runners were ships that attempted to break through the naval blockades imposed by the Allied forces during World War II to trade with Axis powers, particularly Germany. These operations were extremely dangerous as they involved evading naval patrols and risking attacks by enemy warships and aircraft.
Initially, the badge was awarded as a civil decoration, but as of December 5, 1942 soldiers of the Kriegsmarine were also eligible. The badge was designed by Otto Placzeck in Berlin. The badge depicts a ship cuttiung through the waves with a large German Eagle clutching a swastika on its bow encircircled by chains.