LUFTWAFFE FLIGHT PERSONNEL TRADE BADGE
On joining the Luftwaffe enlisted men and NCO’s were assigned and trained for a specific trade or military function. On successful completion of the appropriate trade training, personnel were issued a distinctive trade badge to be worn on the lower left sleeve of the service tunics as identifying insignia with a couple of exceptions.
Luftwaffe trade patched were introduced in May 1935, with no fewer then thirty nine speciality trade badges. Some trade badges were piped with twisted, grey or silver/aluminum braiding to denote NCO’s ranks while some were piped with twisted, gilt braiding to denote outstanding performance in the particular trade, which sometimes came with an awards certificate.
The Luftwaffe Flight Personnel Trade Badge was introduced by German Air Sports Association (Deutscher Luftsportsverband Fliegerschaft) DLV which was civilian forerunner of the Luftwaffe. The Flight Personnel Trade Badge was instituted 13th May 1935, which was awarded to personnel who had not yet qualified for as a Pilot or Observer.
The Flight Personnel Trade Badge depicts a four bladed propeller in the centre flanked by wings either side.